When it comes to bicycles, any two brands rarely match with exact the same measurements, also known as geometry. While geometry can vary greatly from style to style, whether you are on a road bike, mountain bike, hybrid, comfort, or urban cruiser, the same dimensions within each style can also slightly vary to some degree.
Most bicycle brands also carry a full line of women’s-specific bicycles that are designed with a completely different geometry than standard unisex bicycles. While many women choose to ride unisex designs, there are some advantages to purchasing a women’s-specific bicycle.
Because most bikes on the market are designed with the average man in mind, women’s-specific bicycles are tailored toward different proportions in the torso, arms, and legs. In addition to smaller shoulders and hands, women’s hips are generally wider, which creates a difference in how women sit on a saddle compares to men.
Bikes Direct carries an entire line of women’s-specific bicycles that are tailored with the following modifications:
– smaller handlebars with shorter stems that help women with shorter arms,
– different saddles to accommodate women’s hips,
– special components such as brake levers and gear shifters for smaller hands,
– different frame materials and weight that suit a lighter rider, and
– geometry that is designed specifically for a woman’s dimensions.